Summer learning loss – or the summer slide – is an educational phenomenon where students lose some of the knowledge, skills and ability they acquired over the school year.
The BGC Greater Saint John’s Brain Gain Programs are designed to help children retain or gain literacy and math skills over the summer.
Children attend the program full-time for two weeks.
Three days per week they will receive:
- Virtual 40 minute 1-on-1 tutuoring session with an Elementary Literacy NB staff (ELF)
- 1.5 hours of small group tutoring (3 to 4 chilren) with a University Student
- 30 minutes a day reading using the AMIRA Reading Platform. [See below for more information on AMIRA]
The remainder of the days are dedicated to fun, camp themed activities (splash pad, field games, crafts etc.).
Brain Gain is designed for children entering grade 2 to 5.
All children are welcome in the program, but there is limited space.
In order to keep ratio’s low to maximize learning, there will only be room for 24 children per 4 week session (12 children a day).
To be announced 2021!
Brain Gain is a 4 week program.
Children attend 2 days a week during that time.
SESSION 1: July 6, 2020 to July 30, 2020
SESSION 2: August 10, 2020 to September 3, 2020
Sample Daily Schedule
This program is only possible because of the following partners:
- Boys & Girls Club of Saint John
- Elementary Literacy NB (ELF)
- United Way
- Government of Canada