Summer learning loss – or the summer slide – is an educational phenomenon where students lose some of the knowledge, skills and ability they acquired over the school year.
The Boys & Girls Club Brain Gain Program is designed to help children retain or gain literacy and math skills over the summer.
Children attend the program 2 days a week for 4 weeks.
Each day they will receive:
- Virtual 40 minute 1-on-1 tutuoring session with an Elementary Literacy NB staff (ELF)
- 1.5 hours of small group tutoring (3 to 4 chilren) with a University Student
- 30 minutes a day reading using the AMIRA Reading Platform. [See below for more information on AMIRA]
- Fun day camp activities (splash pad, field games, crafts etc.)
Brain Gain is designed for children entering grade 2 to 5.
All children are welcome in the program, but there is limited space.
In order to keep ratio’s low to maximize learning, there will only be room for 24 children per 4 week session (12 children a day).
Carleton Community Centre
120 Market Place
West Saint John
Brain Gain is a 4 week program.
Children attend 2 days a week during that time.
SESSION 1: July 6, 2020 to July 30, 2020
SESSION 2: August 10, 2020 to September 3, 2020
Sample Daily Schedule
This progarm is only possible because of the following partners:
- Boys & Girls Club of Saint John
- Elementary Literacy NB (ELF)
- Carleton Community Centre, Inc.
- United Way
- Government of Canada