Master Builders

BGC Greater Saint John, according to the late Vernon McAdam, was the first of its kind in Canada. Through love and devotion, it has helped thousands of Saint John boys and girls become good Canadian citizens during many decades.

Its success was only made possible by the Rotary Club who provided a debt-free building and dedicated people who gave of their cost-free time, talent and money in order to create continuous miracles.

Fearing that the knowledge of these people and their selfless deeds would become unknown to new generations, the Officers and Board of Directors on April 17, 1985, created the Order of The Master Builders of BGC Greater Saint John, Inc which would record their names and worthwhile contributions.

It was also decided that, from time to time, a picture and short biographical sketch of each to be placed on this table.

Today we happily remember one of these

MASTER BUILDERS.

Our recent recipients…

CIBC Wood Gundy

Image result for CIBC Wood Gundy

In 1984, a single Wood Gundy branch decided to donate their commissions for one business day to children’s charities. Their generosity has grown into what is now called CIBC Miracle Day, a proud tradition that has helped to improve the lives of millions of children and one of Canada’s largest single-day corporate fundraising events devoted to children. 

Each year, on the first Wednesday in December, participating CIBC Wood Gundy Investment Advisors and CIBC’s wholesale banking staff donate their fees and commissions to children’s charities. 

In 2016, Miracle Day raised $6 million in Canada. Of this amount, a remarkable $3 million was contributed by CIBC Wood Gundy Investment Advisors. Since the first event in 1984, over $90 million has been raised for children’s charities with the support and generosity of our clients, employees, and friends.

CIBC Wood Gundy of Saint John, NB has been honoured to support the BGC Greater Saint John for all the amazing work they do for the children of our community.

Inducted as a member of the BGC Greater Saint John Master Builders, this day, Friday, October 12th 2018

 

C.P. Theriault

Born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Mr. C.P. Theriault moved to Rothesay New Brunswick in 1965. After finishing his education at Rothesay High School and Kennebecasis High School, C.P. decided on Dalhousie University’s Bachelors of Commerce. 

He returned again to Saint John to begin his career in 1984 at Saint John Shipbuilding Ltd. In 1996, C.P. made a move to a financial advisor position with various firms and continues in this roll today. 

C.P has always had the community in mind throughout his career and holds a long list of volunteerism. He has participated in the host committees for World Curling, East Coast Music Awards, Country Music Awards and the Dragon Boat Festival. C.P. has also chaired committees for the Canadian Comedy Awards, Tall Ships 2004 and the long lasting Fundy Food Festival, which continues to annually contribute to the Club. Finally, The Club had the privilege of having C.P. as a board member from 1997 to 2004 to which he was board president from 2002 to 2004. 

C.P was not only a dedicated individual in our community, but was also incredibly dedicated and important to our Club. For this reason, C.P. Theriault is inducted as a member of the BGC Greater Saint John Master Builders, this day, Friday October 12th 2018.

J.C. Robert Lockhart

JC Robert Lockhart was welcomed to the Board of Directors of The Boys & Girls Club of Saint John, Inc. in 1988.

 

Robert immediately assumed a leadership role on the Board of Directors by serving as Chairperson of the Public Relations Committee from 1988-1990. Mr. Lockhart accepted the position of 2nd Vice President in 1990 which he held for 2 years. From 1992-1993, he served as 1st Vice President. Robert became the 18th President of The Boys and Girls Club of Saint John, Inc. in 1994, a position he served well for two terms: 1994-1996.  From 1996 to 2006, Robert has served as Past-President, Chairperson of several committees including Technology, Transportation and Governance.

Robert’s outstanding volunteer work for the Boys and Girls through the Rotary Club is seen by many major projects over the years: acquiring $75,000.00 in 1989 for Club renovations in celebration of Rotary’s 75th birthday; he was instrumental in acquiring Rotary’s support for the purchasing of a new van in 1990; and his co-chairmanship with Heinz Schaerer of the Rotary Building Project which raised $400,000.00 to fund major building renovations in 2000, the year of the Club’s Centennial celebrations.  Robert was also responsible for the donation from some colleagues at NBTel of the Club’s first computer.

The Boys & Girls Club of Saint John recognized Robert as a very deserving recipient of the Bronze Keystone Award of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Canada for long and devoted service to youth on April 26, 2006.

During Robert’s year as President of the Rotary Club of Saint John, the Rotary Admiral Beatty Project was undertaken by the Club to save it from the wrecking ball. But Robert’s most proud moment as a Rotarian was recognizing his family, Carolyn, Robb, Bradley, Shelly, Spencer and Katie, with Paul Harris Fellowships at Christmas, 2014.

Robert began his career with NBTel in May, 1969 working for Gerry Pond in the Saint John Business Office, and was transferred to Newcastle the end of that year as the Area Manager, the youngest person to ever hold this position. Robert and Carolyn moved back to Saint John in 1973, and he held many management positions until his retirement from Aliant Telecom in December, 2000. During his career, Robert was involved in the development and implementation of many of the service improvement and mechanization projects that made NBTel recognized worldwide. Upon retirement, Robert established Lockhart’s Consulting Inc. specializing in the Implementation & Integration of large new services like TV within the Telecommunication industry. Robert is very proud of the fact that his “first boss” was Gerry Pond, and Gerry was his “last boss” when consulting for Mariner Partners.

Robert married Carolyn A. Gourley on August 22, 1970 in Kentville, N.S. They have two sons Robert B. Lockhart in Halifax and Bradley A. Lockhart and his wife Shelly in Quispamsis, as well as two grandchildren Spencer and Katelyn. Robert & Carolyn now reside in Plumweseep outside of Sussex, and enjoy spending their summer at the cottage at Belyea’s Cove with their grand daughter Katie and her parents, and taking winter vacations south with the family.

Mr. Heinz Schaerer
 
Mr. Heinz Schaerer was born in Stratford, Ontario in 1959. He is an honours business graduate from Wilfrid Laurier University and holds a diploma in Asian Studies from Kansai Gaidai University in Osaka, Japan.
 
Leaving Toronto in 1988 Heinz joined Connors Brothers in Blacks Harbour and has been instrumental in expanding the company’s sales to over 65 countries. Heinz currently holds the position of Vice President of International Sales for Connors Bros. Clover Leaf Seafoods Company.
 
Community has always been important to Heinz as reflected in his work with St. David’s United Church, The Rotary Club, The Boys & Girls Club and The Saint John Regional Hospital pedway. He has been awarded Rotary’s Paul Harris Fellowship three times. With his extraordinary fundraising skills he has helped affect positive change here at our local Boys & Girls Club as well as a school in the Dominican Republic. Through his efforts and leadership the trust and endowments portion of the Heart of the Possible Capital Campaign was a funding leader in the million dollar campaign. Heinz continues to bring numerous donations of cash and other assets to our Club, most recently securing ten tons of school supplies from Staedtler Corporation. This donation allowed our Club to pay it forward to 24 local schools and hundreds of students.
 
In 1989, Heinz married Andrea Brown and they currently reside in Rothesay with their wonderful children, Christopher and Alexandra.
 
It is a very special privilege to help induct Mr. Heinz Schaerer into the Saint John Boys and Girls Club as a Master Builder this 15th day of November 2013.
Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception
The Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception (SCIC) were founded in Saint John over almost 160 years ago. In 1854, Honoria Conway and her companions founded the first English-speaking Roman Catholic religious congregation in Canada to minister to the Irish immigrants and orphans facing poverty and illness in mid-19th century Saint John. Through the decades, the Sisters served thousands through their ministries in education, health care, social justice and community services, always living their mission “to communicate the sacred flame of God’s love.” They expanded their ministry to Peru as well as Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Quebec, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Ireland.
 
Sisters of Charity have always been generous. Over the years, they have served on our Board of Directors, helped staff our daily Hot Lunch Program and provided counseling and support to our staff, children and youth. They step up when we need special resources such as the librarians who helped us organize the books in our first Learning Centre. When it comes time for all the children to have their Christmas Wish List fulfilled, we depend on the support of the St. Vincent de Paul Centre, where Sisters of Charity served for many years.
 
Through the Sisters’ generosity, our Evening program continues to serve up to 150 children and youth each school night. Their contribution to the Heart of the Possible Campaign resulted in our Music Room being created which enables our youth to explore, discover and develop their musical talents. When the Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception celebrated their 150 Anniversary in 2004, with the theme, “You have been here and you have made a difference”, they asked the children of the Club to make “Inukshuks” as a symbol of their Anniversary gathering. We still remember all those little hands, all those rocks, all those inukshuks – in sharing their celebration, the experience created a memory for us, too – we remember we have been here together and together we work to make a difference in our community of Saint John.
 
Gregory D. Zed
Gregory D. Zed began his involvement with the Boys and Girls Club when he attended the Kindergarten Program in 1967. He was a member from then until 1969 when Greg left Saint John to attend university.
 
After graduation and his return to Saint John, Greg joined the Board of Directors in 1978 which he served on until 2007. He served as President, 1998-2001; Co-Chaired the Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada’s National Conference in 2000; and served on the Executive Committee in various capacities, including 8 years as Secretary. Over the years, Greg served on numerous board committees including Resource Development, Program and Public Relations.
 
Mr. Zed was heavily involved in special events for the Club – celebrations of milestones, fund raising events and volunteer recognitions. Greg had a special place in his heart for the Mothers’ Auxiliary, founded in 1970, which recognized him with a life-time honorary membership. Greg was also awarded a Saint John Boys and Girls Club’s Lifelong Membership in 2010. Although Greg retired from the Board in 2007, Greg continues to be a strong advocate for the children and youth of our Club.
 
Mr. Zed has worked in the mental health field for over 35 years and has served on several municipal, provincial and national boards and agencies. Greg has a Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Education and Master in Social Work degrees. He is a certified trainer for bereavement and in suicide intervention.
 
With over 34 years of dedicated volunteerism to the children and youth of our Club, it is our great pride that The Boys and Girls Club of Saint John induct, Mr. Gregory D. Zed into the Order of the Master Builders, this 16th day of November, 2012
McDonald's Restaurants owner Michael Schulze
McDonald’s Restaurants
Michael Schulze
Owner/ Operator
Saint John& Quispamsis
 
Mr Michael Schulze joined the Boys and Girls Club’s Board of Directors in 2003. As owner/operator of 8 local McDonald’s Restaurants, a new partnership with the Club was formed. This resulted in providing the Lunch Program and Daycares with one meal per month – what started as 100 meals, quickly increased to 150 meals a month. In 2007, their personal generosity was extended to provide 2 meals per month for the lunch program and daycare – over 250 meals a month!
 
Mr. Schulze’s kindness and thoughtfulness for the children and youth of our Club didn’t stop with meals. In 2005, the Club became the Charity of Choice for McDonald’s McHappy Day. The Club has received much needed funding from this amazing event in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. Over $125,000.00 has been donated, in funds, meals and gifts-in-kind, by the Schulze family and McDonald’s Restaurants.
 
During his time on the Board of Directors, Michael was chairperson of the Resource Development Committee for over 4 years and served as 2nd Vice-President. He re-organized our fund raising strategies, action plans and approaches. Mike was instrumental in the creation of a part-time contractual position to acquire fund raising events and to increase our profile. Mike organized his own succession plan by recruiting his daughter, Amanda, to serve on the Board in 2006. He wanted to ensure the partnership continuation with McDonald’s and the Club, retiring from our Board in 2010.
 
Michael, with his McDonald’s Restaurants, has been a tremendous volunteer, Board member, supporter and corporate financial donor who has been instrumental in major developments within the Boys and Girls Club of Saint John. It is most fitting that the Boys and Girls Club of Saint John induct Mr. Michael Schulze and McDonald’s Restaurants into the Order of the Master Builders, the 16th day of November, 2012.
J.M.(Mac) Ferguson
J.M. (Mac) Ferguson graduated from Saint John High School in 1949 after which he worked for Cox Hammett Accounting from where he earned his C.A. degree. Always active and engaging, Mac joined the Sea Cadets serving years and becoming a Chief Officer.
 
In 1955, Mac married Phyllis Dykeman and together raised a family of 3 boys and one girl. Mac joined the Boys & Girls Club Board of Directors in 1972 and he continued to serve on the Board. Mac became the Treasurer from 1977-1979. He served as First Vice-President 1981-82 and became the Club President in 1982, served two terms – his tenure as Past President was 1984 1986. During his time on the Board of Directors, he has been chairperson of the Finance, Building, Transportation, Program and Executive Committees. In 1974, the year of the Club fire, he played an instrumental role in the rebuilding campaign that gave us the Club we are in today. He also assisted in developing transportation service in 1977, which required the acquisition of 15 passenger vans totaling seven over the years and a 43-passenger bus in 1989. While Mr. Ferguson was serving on our Board of Directors, he was also a member of the Saint John Rotary Club, for which he held various positions, including Vice-President and President. Mr. Ferguson was recognized for his outstanding contribution as a Rotarian with the Paul Harris Fellowship, which is the highest recognition bestowed upon a Rotarian.
 
Mac has been a very involved, dedicated and conscientious Board member who has been instrumental in major developments within the Boys & Girls Club of Saint John. Mr. Ferguson is highly respected by his peers and by the staff and volunteers of the Club. After 40 years of dedication, it is most fitting that the Boys & Girls Club of Saint John induct Mr. J. M. (Mac) Ferguson into the Order of the Master Builders, the 20th day of January 2012.
Arthur L. Pottle
Arthur L. Pottle became a member of the Boys & Girls Club in 1934 at the age of 14. During this time at the Club, he was a member of numerous sports teams and at the age of 17, began his coaching career which continued until Arthur was 75 years old.
 
He began his volunteer experience in 1979 when he became a member of the Club’s Board of Directors. He has been involved with various committees and senior Board positions: Secretary 1984; Vice President 1986;1st Vice President 1987; President 1988 and Past President 1989-91. In 1990 he became Co-Chair of the Master Builders Committee, a position he still holds.
 
Mr. Pottle served his Country in WW-II in the Mediterranean Theatre as a member of the First Special Service Force better known as the Devil’s Brigade. To this day he is an active member of the Royal Canadian Legion. After the war, Mr. Pottle attended McGill University. After graduating in 1950 he started his 35 year teaching career at Simonds High School. Arthur has been recognized with various awards such as the Will Lox Award for contribution to basketball and was named Freeman of the City of Saint John. Married to his wife Connie in 1951, they are both life-long residents of Saint John and together they had a family of four boys and one girl.
 
With over 32 years of volunteer dedication to the children and youth of our Club, it is with great pride that The Boys & Girls Club of Saint John induct Mr. Arthur Pottle into the Order of the Master Builders this 20th day of January, 2012.
Saint John Rotary Club
Saint John Rotary Club
Rotary’s motto “Service Above Self”, as most of us know, serve according to Webster’s dictionary, means to render service, so as to benefit, help and promote, as to serve mankind. That meaning is especially fitting when it relates to The Saint John Rotary Club and the Boys and Girls Club of Saint John. From around 1934 under the urging of Eli Boyaner, the Saint John Rotary Club sponsored the East End Boys Club located on Thorne Avenue and also the South End Boys Club on Broadview Avenue. Sadly, no girls were allowed to be members of those two Clubs. After 20 years, in 1954, when Rotary built a new Club on this site, a light came on and girls became members, even in leadership and management. In the Club’s Master Builders’ Room shared with computers, one can see the photographs and citations of several Rotarians who served the Club over many years. Some of these outstanding Saint John citizens and our icons were Eli Boyaner, Abe Calp, Bob Dole, George Flood, Judge Benjamin Guss, Joshua Lieberman, Vernon McAdam, Bill Robinson, Duncan Wathen and Keith Wilson. It is fitting that the Rotary Club of Saint John, as a collective group, should follow in the footsteps of the above mentioned Rotarians. In April 1956, the new Club was officially opened and dedicated as the Rotary Saint John Boys and Girls Club on Prince Edward Street with 600 members registered. Programs included music, woodworking, home nursing, handy craft, metal work, and various sports. Throughout the 50’s and 60’s, the Saint John Rotary Club was instrumental in financial and voluntary support. In 1974, the Boys & Girls Club had a tragic fire. Under the Chairmanship of William G. Bartlett, the Rotary Club spearheaded a $1.0 million financial campaign to rebuild. In June 1976, the Boys & Girls Club was reopened to a membership of more boys and girls due to the large structure.
 
On September 7, 1979, the mortgage was burned and Rotary International was recognized by Boys & Girls Club of Canada for 50 years of dedicated service to the boys and girls in Saint John through the Boys & Girls Club movement. Rotary International’s President, Mr. James L. Bomar, Jr. was presented the Gold Keystone Award. Throughout the 1980’s, 1990’s and into the 2000’s, the Saint John Rotary Club continued its extraordinary support of the Boys & Girls Club. The Rotarians have served as Board Members, program volunteers and provided constant support for challenges and issues facing the Boys & Girls Club for the last 7 decades. Rotarian’s full and continued support over 71 years has been very much appreciated by the Club’s Board of Directors and staff. It should be noted that 14 of the 23 Past Presidents were Rotarians including the Founding President, Duncan Wathen. Therefore, we take great pleasure in inducting the Saint John Rotary Club into the Saint John Boys & Girls Club’s Order of Master Builders, this day, November 25, 2005.
 
 
 
 
Mrs. Elsie E. Wayne
How does one compose an abbreviated profile for one who has led such a long and distinguished public life? “Glory be to God” it is a challenge!
 
As the result of Mrs. Wayne’s service to Saint John and Canada, she has many honors, to name a few: Honorary Doctorates from St. Thomas University and Husson College; and Honorary Degree from the University of New Brunswick Saint John; a Rotary Paul Harris Fellow; the YM-YWCA Red Triangle Award; an Honorary Gunner from the 3d Field Regiment Royal Canadian Artillery; and the Order of Distinguished Auxiliary Service from the Salvation Army: the first Saint Johner to receive the award.
 
We must also recognize, that not only is Elsie Wayne an ooutstanding public individual, she is also a proud family person sharing her life with her husband Richard, sons Daniel and Stephen and two grandchildren, Lindsay and Matthew. Many highlights of Mrs. Wayne’s career include: the Glen Falls Flood Fighter; a member of the City of Saint John Common Council for two terms; our first lady Mayor, serving four terms; member of Parliament, serving three terms and Interim leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada; Honorary member of the Merchant Navy; the Merchant Seaman’s Champion; Critic for Veteran Affairs and Canadian Military Forces supporter – “Get rid of the old Sea Kings”. Her involvement with the Boys & Girls Club of Saint John has spanned 24 years. Her voluntary activities are numerous including: a member of the Board of Directors 1979-1981, Public Relations Committee Chairperson, our fundraising digger, regular attendance at the Youth Awards Nights, Volunteer events, Annual Board Meetings and Club supporter at all times. We consider her undying support a bright light as well as her dedicated advocacy on behalf of our children and youth.
 
The Boys & Girls Club of Saint John, Inc. is pleased to recognize the exceptional dedication Mrs. Elsie E. Wayne has given to the Club. We are pleased to induct Mrs. Wayne into the Order of the Master Builders, this day, October 15, 2004.
Keith Malcolm Wilson
As the old gospel song begins…What a friend we have…”, the Saint John Boys & Girls Club has a special friend in Mr. Keith Wilson. This quiet, unassuming gentleman has given unselfishly to many volunteer services in Saint John, Some of these organizations include: The Saint John Rotary Club, The Salvation Army, Vestry of Saint John Stone Church, Department of Health & Community Services, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Hillcrest Baptist Church and Family Services of Saint John.
 
Two major awards, among many others he received were the YM/YWCA Red Triangle Award and the Saint John Rotary Club’s Paul Harris Fellow. Despite all the agencies and several other organizations, Mr. Wilson found time to serve on the Board of Directors of the Boys & Girls Club from 1983 to 1996. He served on several committees especially the Building Committee. Keith could always be counted on for solid ideas to help solve challenges and issues facing the Club. We believe that the Mothers’ Auxiliary consider Mr. Wilson their #1 customer at their luncheons. Always a regular attendee at luncheons and social events, he was not only there himself but usually had guests with him. Even at these luncheons, mostly for adults, he always remembered to look after children’s nutritional needs.
 
Many generous acts of kindness and service to the boys and girls of the Club go quite unknown throughout the year, especially his thoughtfulness for the children during the Summer Program and at Christmas time. Mr. Wilson’s generosity helped make many happy, excited children have a great Christmas! It should be noted that Keith’s father, Mr. C.N. Wilson was inducted into the Order of Master Builders in 1989 and today we are proud to induct Mr. Keith Malcolm Wilson into the Boys & Girls Club of Saint John’s Order of the Master Builders, October 24, 2003.
Mothers' Auxiliary
What group under the Saint John Boys & Girls Club umbrella would score 10 out of 10 in: dedication, dependability, generosity, reliability, service, volunteerism and willingness? The answer, of course, is the Mothers’ Auxiliary. Inaugurated October 22, 1970 and still going strong after 30 years, this Auxiliary was formed from the need seen by Margaret and William J. Nodwell. Over the years they have done many good deeds too numerous to list, but it includes raising thousands of dollars for the purchase of equipment, insurance and furnishings, sending children to camps and assisting at National Conference. We cannot forget the many hundreds of delicious meals and lunches prepared for the Board of Directors, Rotary Club, Wedding Receptions and Annual social dinners, among others. All was not hard work but included some exciting, fun trips by van to Bangor.
 
The Inaugural slate of officers included Hazel Fournier -President; Rose Cooper – Vice-President; Sis Derry 2nd Vice – President; Audrey McLean – Secretary; Muriel Dixon – Treasurer; Clara Richard Social Committee; Agnes Jefferson – Telephone Committee; Bernice Palmer – Program Committee; Dorothy Earle – Ways & Means; Marie Richardson – Ways & Means; Mary McGowan – Sick Committee; Gladys Dougay – Sick Committee.
 
The Presidents who chaired and guided the Auxiliary over their successful years were: 1970-1987 Hazel Fournier; 1987-1989 Donna Buck; 1989-1992 Barbara Arsenault; 1992-1996 Phyllis Cyr; 1996-1999 Karen Wedge; 1999-2000 Carolyn Lockhart. Honorably Life Members appointed for their contribution are: Margaret Nodwell and Hazel Fournier inducted October 4, 1988 and Mary McGowan, Audrey McLean and Clara Richard inducted October 22, 1995
 
The Boys & Girls Club of Saint John is pleased to recognize the Mothers’ Auxiliary for their long and important service and are justly proud to induct them into the order of Master Builders, this day of October 20, 2000.
Anne C. Disher
It is very nice to have a love that lasts. Today’s honored guest, Mrs. Anne C. Disher, surely epitomizes that statement. With love for the Saint John Boys & Girls Club, Inc, she has participated in many activities relating to the Club. A few examples are: 19 years on the Board of Directors; organized the successful New Lease Program; a founding member with 22 years on the Saint John Boys & Girls Endowment Fund, serving as Executive Director; 6 years National Advisory Council and National Board of Directors of the Boys &Girls Clubs of Canada; 6 years as representative on the Regional Council for New Brunswick and chairman for three years; served on the National Planning Committee for 3 National Conferences. For these volunteer activities and many others, she was presented the Silver Keystone Award in 1977, the highest honor the Boys & Girls Clubs of Canada bestow. In 1995 after 25 years of service to the youth of our city, Anne received the prestigious Humanitarian Keystone Award.
 
Mrs. Disher and her husband, John, have four children: Pam and her husband Mark Meier have 3 children Matthew, Megan and Maggie; Bryan and his wife have three daughters Courtney, Julie and Monica; Margo and her husband Walter Emrich have three daughters Katie, Teri and Andrea; Jacquie and her husband Craig McCalman have a son Jacob and triplets Abigail, William and Drew.
 
With almost thirty years in overall dedicated volunteer service to the Club’s staff, Board, and youth of our area of Saint John, Mrs. Disher truly deserves to be inducted into the Saint John Boys & Girls Clubs’ Order of the Master Builders, this day, October 23, 1998
Margaret E. Nodwell
“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose”. Romans, Chapter 8, Verse 28
 
Upon the untimely death of William J. Nodwell Jr.. Executive Director of the Saint John Boys & Girls Club, his widow, Margaret became Executive Director in 1972. This first female Executive Director in Canada served admirably until she retired in 1987. Her career at the Club began in 1955 when she started the Kindergarten program and served as Girls Program Director for many years. Most of her life, she has been involved with the youth of our community. A Brown Owl for 25 years, a Girl Guide leader and a volunteer at the Club in the 1950’s and 1960’s.
 
Margaret was involved with many organizations including the International Boys & Girls Professional Club, Quota Club, Kinette Club, Girl Guides Treefoil Guild and a life membership in the Club’s Mothers’ Auxiliary.
 
For her dedicated work at the Club, Mrs. Nodwell received several awards: The first Executive Director Emeritus, 1988; The Silver Keystone Award from the Boys &Girls Clubs of Canada, 1976; The Paul Harris Fellow Award from the Saint John Rotary Club, 1986; Certificate of Merit on Canada Day 1989 and Canada 125th Anniversary Medal in 1992.
 
After a very serious health problem, Margaret overcame it by determination and a fighting spirit. She attends most special occasions held at the Club. Her greatest legacy is her love for the children and youth as evidenced by starting the Latch Key Program and ensuring that children’s needs were met.
 
At present, she is a member of the Loch Lomond Villa Seniors Club. She is also a member of Calvary Temple Church where Margaret belongs to the Women’s Ministries Group and “The Young at Heart”. Bill and Margaret’s daughter, Carol Ann and her husband David G. MacDonald, are here to share their day with our Executive Director Emeritus. The Saint John Boys & Girls Club, Inc. takes special pleasure in inducting her into the Club’s Order of Master Builders, on October 24, 1997.
Abraham M. (Abe) Calp
On December 6, 1924, young Abraham M. Calp, with his bride Fena Belenkaya immigrated from Odessa, Russia and settled in Saint John in 1926. Our city was fortunate in gaining an outstanding citizen in the making. Abe immediately put the merchandising skills he learned from his father, The Russian Imperial School of Commerce, and the Soviet School of Social Studies to work in the marketplace. Within 7 years, he founded a major retail department store, Calps Limited, which thrived for more than 60 years as one of Saint John’s most prestigious shopping places. A caring family man, he and Fena had three daughters: Marie (Bornstien), Toronto; Lucille (Kerr), Halifax; Francine (Goldsmith), Saint John; seven grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
 
Not to rest on his business enterprise and associations, Mr. Calp joined the Rotary Club in 1942. In 1992, Rotary established a scholarship to honor his 50 years of service. A dedicated Rotarian, he served as Deputy Chair of the Rotary Admiral Beatty Building Fund and was made a Paul Harris Fellow of the Rotary International Foundation. He was a Board member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Canada, a Director and life member of the Saint John Boys & Girls Club. In 1974, he was the campaign chair of the Club’s Rebuilding Fund, raising money for the repair of the Club’s fire-damaged building.
 
He was founding Chairman of the Boys & Girls Club Endowment Fund. Abe was a Counsellor of the Saint John Board of Trade; a Director of the Saint John Community Concert Association, the Music Festival and the Symphony Orchestra; 25 years of service as a member of the Atlantic Exhibition Association; President of the Saint John Merchants Association and the Associated Stores of Canada; a charter member of the Retail Council of Canada, Vice-President and Director for 22 years; in 1985 he was honored with the Distinguished Canadian Retailer Award; Charter Member and Past President of the N.B. Division of the Canadian Arthritis Society; in 1973, Governor General Roland Michener honored him with a life membership. In 1992, he was awarded the Canada 125 medal in recognition of his “Many years of community service and dedication as an outstanding Canadian Citizen”
 
A member of the Shaarei Zedek Congregation, he served as President and General Chairman of the Maritime Region of the Jewish National Fund, Vice-President of the Zionist Organization of Canada, President, Saint John Ezra Lodge, Zionist Order of Habonim, Chairman of the United Jewish Appeal and State of Israel Bond Campaign.
 
We know him as a friendly, soft spoken individual who would always listen to ones’ concerns. At the age of 91, Abe is still a faithful friend and supporter of our Club. We, The Boys & Girls Club of Saint John, Inc. take special pleasure in inducting him into the Order of the Master Builders, November 15, 1996.
Lyman Moulton "Bill" Robinson

Lyman Moulton “Bill” Robinson

1926-1992
 
Mr. Lyman “Bill” Robinson was a devoted family man and he and his wife Ethel, had three sons, Elliot, Wallace and Blair.
 
After moving to Saint John from Montreal is 1949, Bill quickly became a Maritimer. He was involved in many business activities including; Past President of the New Brunswick Chartered Accountants and elected as a Fellow of the Institute in 1981; Vice-President (finance) and Secretary-Treasurer of Moosehead Breweries. Bill was active in his church; he was a former Board member of Big Brothers Association and a Big Brother; he was a member of the Board of Governors of the United Way of Greater Saint John and was a volunteer in many other community projects. He became a Rotarian on July 29, 1963 and was the President of the Saint John Rotary Club 1969-1970. As a staunch Rotarian, in 1985 he received a Paul Harris Fellowship.
 
Despite his busy life, it was for the benefit of the Saint John Boys & Girls Club that he devoted many hours of his talents to further the objectives of the Club.
 
Bill was a Director on the Club’s Board for 21 years and served as the President 1976-1977. He was on the National Board of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Canada for several years, Vice-Chairman of Campaign Committee to rebuild the Club following the fire of 1974. Bill was a founding director of the Saint John Boys & Girls Club Endowment Fund for which he was
Chairman at the time of his death.
 
For all these activities and many more, he was the recipient, in 1981, of the National Silver Keystone Award for outstanding service to the Club from the Boys & Girls Clubs of Canada.
 
Bill was certainly a kind, thoughtful, dedicated active volunteer and friend of our Club. Inducted as a member of the Boys & Girls Club of Saint John Master Builders on Friday, October 13, 1995.
Robert T. Dole
Robert T. Dole
1910-1990
 
Robert (Bob) Dole was a man of many roles along with being a devoted family man. Bob and Pauline had three sons, Eric, Randol and Peter (deceased). Very active in the Scouting movement, he was Saint John District Cubmaster, Scout master at the Church of the Good Shepherd, and leader of the St. George’s Church Rovers. In Halifax, he was the Asst. District Commissioner of Scouts. In 1940, he was honoured with the Medal of Merit from the Boy Scouts Assoc. of Canada. During World War II, he served with the New Brunswick Hussars, the Carleton York Regiment and was promoted to Major as Headquarters Military District No.7 Records Officer. He was also involved in Home and School Associations, City Recreation and the Rotary and Lions Clubs. It was his tall, quiet, purposeful presence as Director of Activities at the old East End Boys Club and the South End Boys Club that many boys who attended those Clubs can remember. Bob coached and refereed basketball, badminton and organized hobby shows. In the 1930’s and 40’s those Clubs were sponsored by the Saint John Rotary Club. In order to manage both Clubs, he convinced several able men to act as volunteers to supervise and run the Clubs various activities. Interested in the Club for over 50 years, Mr. Dole left a positive impact on many boys of Saint John and a legacy for those who supervised the Boys’ Club movement after his positive involvement.
 
Inducted as a member of The Boys & Girls Club of Saint John Master Builders, Friday, April 28th, 1995.
Duncan M. Wathen
Duncan M. Wathen
1904-1989
 
During his long life he was saluted so often for unselfish Public Service that he became known as a man who “exemplified the highest type of good citizenship and community service and always set an example in leadership” for the rest of us to follow.
 
He worked in Saint John for the Irving Group in his earlier years in the Steam Ships Division in many managerial capacities and later left the city to live in Bradenton, Florida, U.S.A. where he successfully operated a business of his own for many years, before returning to Canada to live out the rest of his life.
 
He was born in Harcourt, N.B., the son of Harry Wathen and Mrs. Mary Wathen. In 1939 he married Miss Doris Morley and they had 6 children: Donald, Duncan and David, and Diane, Dale (Mrs. Kurt Grossen) and Darcia. He was an ardent supporter and member of St. Pauls Anglican Church of Saint John.
 
Duncan Wathen had many dreams in his lifetime, to nurture and guide to maturity and continued existence. They had to do with international youth and its development to maturity in a fuller, more worthwhile life. In his wisdom he chose the Rotary International Movement as the continuing capable organization to assist him, as he inspired them to back his ideas and carry them to fruition and support them in continued growth though out the coming years and indeed the coming generations.
 
As a step along the way he was the founding President in 1954 of the new Saint John Boys & Girls Club and further still, the founder and supporter of many national & international programs with youth as their beneficiaries. These programs and ideas had his continual support and encouragement through the years as he married New Brunswick life with Florida life in a way which left the rest of us gasping for breath. An examination of the walls of his home yields emblems of appreciation after appreciation of his work and influence, indeed more than one could comprehend throughout our study of him, and indeed too numerous to mention them all here.
 
Duncan Wathen has come, and gone, leaving a worthy example to be followed today, and tomorrow and as far into the future as we can see and we shall not see his like soon again.
F.Gerard Byrne
F.Gerard Byrne
1937-1989
 
Family man, father, fireman, fundraiser and faithful friend of the Boys & Girls Club of Saint John, George Byrne was all of those and more. Those of us who worked with him, admired his many skills and the dedication he gave to so many causes from which he gained great enjoyment.
 
George was the son of Joseph A. Byrne and Mary Letitia (Sullivan) Byrne. His brothers and sisters were: Dennis, Margaret, Helen, Edna, Donald, Eileen, Paul, Mary, Pat and Elizabeth. He had 2 sons from his first marriage, William and Michael. Married to Sharon A. (Mackin) Byrne, they had two children, Andrew G.and Letitia G. Mr. Byrne was a member of the Saint John Fire Department for 20 years. He was President of Local No. 771 International Association of Firefighters, and of Local No. 1471 Simonds Firefighters. He served on various committees while working for the department.
 
His association with the Boys & Girls Club began shortly after the fire at the club in 1974. As organizer of the Mock Jail for the rebuilding fund, his endeavor raised $18,711.58. The following year when he was the President of Local No. 771 they donated two vans for the Club.
 
As a “Jack of all trades”, Gerry became a member of the Club’s Board in 1977 an efficient secretary in 1978 and 1985-89. He served as Vice-President in 1979, President in 1981 and Past President in 1982.
 
His dedication as a top volunteer for the Club earned him the Boys & Girls Clubs of Canada National Award, the Silver Keystone Award in 1983 and the Club Service Award in 1986.
 
Mr. Byrne’s sudden and untimely death on May 21, 1989 left a great void that was keenly felt by all members of the Boys & Girls Club of Saint John.
Inducted as a member of the Boys &Girls Club of Saint John Master Builders on Friday, November 6, 1992
Vernon F. McAdam
Mr.McAdam is truly a friend to the Boy’s Club movement in Canada! His life-time service to the boy’s clubs started in 1917, when he accepted the position of Asst. Director of the Boy’s Home of Montreal. This home, which later became known as Weredale House, was operating the Boys’ Home Boys’ Club which just previously become affiliated with the Boys’ Club Federation International.
 
In 1927, Mr. McAdam was asked by the International Organization to become the Secretary for Canada. He spent the next twenty-five years working without pay, organizing Boys’ Clubs throughout the country.
 
He went on to become National Director, Boys’ Clubs of Canada, retiring in 1972, after 55 years of dedicated service to the organization. As founder and pioneer of the Boys’ Club movement, he was honored many times. In 1961 he received the Distinguished Achievement Award presented by the Boys’ Clubs Professional Association; later received the Gold Keystone “for outstanding and extraordinary service in and for Boys’ Clubs” from Boys’ Clubs of Canada. This honor was presented to him by His Excellency, the Right Honourable Roland Michener,C.C.,C. M. M.,C.D., Govenor General of Canada at Government House in Ottawa on December 1, 1972.
 
When the Order of Canada was inaugurated, he was awarded the Medal of Service and to this date, is the only social worker in Canada who has received this singular honour. Mr. McAdam has held many memberships in various organizations including a Charter membership in the Canadian Association of Social Workers; the Rotary Club of Montreal, serving one term as its president and a charter membership in the Boys’ Club Professional Association just to name a few. Vernon McAdam – administrator, fundraiser, ambassador, author and friend – he is all of these things and more-his talents are many and his life has been trulyone of dedication to the youth of Canada.
 
Vernon McAdam- we salute you!
Benjamin Rex Guss
Benjamin Rex Guss
1905-1985
Benjamin Rex Guss was truly a friend to the Boys & Girls Club movement in Canada! In his early years “Ben” attended Dalhousie University after he headed Legal Firms for many years and had a distinguished career in law. Benjamin Rex Guss was born to Morris and Celia Guss in Lithuania. Ben married Mildred Ruth Bassen in 1938 and they had four children, Keren, Judith, Faith and Jonathan.
 
Through his compelling interest in the East End Boys Club and his growing conviction that Rotary Club of Saint John was the permanent vehicle to meld all these factors together, expanded in his mind and came to further fruition in 1955 when he advanced to the presidency of the Rotary Club and secured the adoption of the Saint John Rotary Boys & Girls Club new youth centre as Rotary’s $100,000.00 50th year of Rotary International Celebration Project.
 
During this year, and under his leadership, the construction of the new club on Paul Harris Street was completed in April. It soon became named The Boys & Girls Club. Under his inspiration and guidance, the coming years saw great growth in the number of youth helped.
 
In 1974 the Club was vandalized and burned and Ben’s optimism shone as the Rotary Club of Saint John determined to rebuild an enlarged version of the facility. In 1975-75 the new club was completed at just under a cost of one million dollars.
 
Ben was part of this continuing saga and took particular pleasure when three years later the Rotary Club paid off and burned the mortgage. Nothing could have thrilled Ben more than the development by the Rotary Club of a substantial endowment fund to help stabilize the Boys & Girls Club organization through the coming years.
 
Ben was a man of many talents. He was a leader in his legal profession, a scholar, a poet and student of Talmud, an accomplished person, dignified, polished,a dedicated Rotarian who always gave outstanding support and leadership to worthy enterprises. He was never happier than when he was serving the youth.
Charles N. Wilson
Charles N. Wilson
1895-1982
 
During a 1964 ceremony when Mr. Charles Wilson was made a Freeman of the City of Saint John, he was saluted as a man who “exemplified the highest type of good citizenship and community service throughout his life and set an example in leadership”. He came to Saint John in 1911 and joined the Bank of New Brunswick as a junior clerk. When his bank amalgamated with the Bank of Nova Scotia, he continued in their service until 1923 when he became employed with the Saint John Drydock and Ship building Limited and in 1945 purchased the company and became its President. In later years he founded and operated several other successful companies. He was a Director of many companies including The Bank of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Telephone Company, Canada Permanent Trust Co. and T.S.Simms & Company, Ltd. In community service he was a member of the Senate and Board of Governors of
the University of New Brunswick, a Director of the Boys Clubs of Canada, the New Brunswick Protestant Orphan’s Home, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Saint John Y.M.C.A., the Salvation Army, and many other worthwhile organizations. He was an advisor to the Federal Commission on Government Organizations and a member of the Provincial Byrne Royal Commission resulting in the “Program for Equal Opportunity”.
 
He was born in Hopewell Cape, the son of Captain George D. and Mrs. Alfretta Wilson. In 1919 he married Miss Beatrice Small of Mace’s Bay and they had three children: Keith M., Charles C. and Alfretta (Mrs. Glenn Scott). He was an adherent and supporter of the Central Baptist Church of Saint John.
 
Mr. Wilson was an ardent supporter of the Boys & Girls Club of Saint John. In the early days, when Mr. William Nodwell operated the old club on Thorne Avenue, it was he who personally supplied the wood for woodworking; it was he who contributed generously to the building fund for both the old and new building; it was he who annually donated money to the general fund and special projects of the Club; it was he who was one of the first three non-Rotarians to become a Director of the Club and contributed much of his time in this capacity.
 
The Maritime Advocate in an editorial wrote: “Mr. Wilson, an Albert County boy, stayed in the Atlantic Provinces – he did not listen to the siren call from the Central Provinces – here is a worthy example to be followed today by the young men and women of the Atlantic Provinces.”
 
George M. Flood
George M. Flood, C.M.
1892-1978
 
George M. Flood, C.M. was a public-minded citizen. As the Vice-President of John Flood & Sons Ltd., Canada’s oldest Construction Company, volunteered his time to community organizations such as CNIB, founding member of the first Credit Union in Saint John, former president of the Knights of Columbus, former president of the St. Patrick’s Society, and member of the Saint John Board of Trade and the Union Club of Saint John.
 
He was a forth degree member of the Knights of Columbus and a member of the Saint John Rotary Club. It was through his Rotary Club involvement that he spearheaded the Rotary Senior Citizens Housing Project and construction of the original Saint John Boys & Girls Club building, a task which his own firm provided at cost without overhead.
 
He was an original member of the Saint John Housing Commission and was made an honorary life member of the Saint John Construction Association for his dedication to that organization. In 1972 George Flood was appointed to the Order of Canada, an honour bestowed upon individuals who have given distinguished service in their community.
 
George was the son of John and Elizabeth (Nash) Flood. He was predeceased by his first wife, Clara (Theriault). They had seven children. He is survived by his second wife, the former Mildred Condon.
 
It is befitting the Saint John Boys & Girls Club honour George M. Flood – he is a great friend and a Master Builder.
We miss him!
Mr. Eli Boyaner
Eli Boyaner was the first Jewish boy born in Saint John, New Brunswick wherein he resided his entire life. This was a man of vision who was a guiding hand into the future for the youth of the city. Eli served 8 consecutive years as president of Shaarei Zedek Synagogue. He and Ester, have 2 children, Shirley and Donald. As a Rotarian, Eli became concerned that the youth should have a facility to Call, “home away from home” and it was through his promotion that the Saint John Rotary Club accepted the challenge to provide a tangible facility to youth in April 1955, when the Boys & Girls Club was opened on this site. It was through Eli and William & Margaret Nodwell, Sr. that girls became involved in the Club. On January 18″, 1957 Eli Boyaner received the “Man and Boy Award” of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Canada in appreciation of more than a quarter of a century of volunteer service to the youth of the Boys and Girls Club of Saint John.
 
On April 14h 1958 Eli was presented a Silver Keystone, the highest award given by the National Office of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Canada, “for his lifetime devotion to the well-being of youth”. He also served as a member of the Executive of the National organization. He started the first toy repair shop and at Christmas. This Jewish gentleman made sure that children of the area had Christmas parties. On May 18, 1958 Eli Boyaner was the first person in Canada to receive an Honorary degree by the College of Optometry. Duncan Wathen, a lifetime friend said, “during Eli’s lifetime he reached out and gathered hundreds of young people into his embrace to teach them the path of truth and righteousness. Through his efforts many children were clothed and fed. He considered each child as one of God’s Masterpieces and treated them all as such.”
 
The following tribute was also paid him – “The most outstanding feature of Eli Boyaner was his thoughtfulness for others – nothing went unnoticed. Tact, kindness and diplomacy were personified in him.”
 
To his family, he was Love, Warmth and Strength.
Mr.William J. Nodwell
Mr. William J. Nodwell
1926-1970.
 
“Bill” Nodwell in his short life, crowded more outstanding achievements in the physical and moral development of youth, than the majority of those working for a full lifetime in their field of endeavor. He was born in Saint John on March 6, 1926, the son of William P. Nodwell and Margaret (Spragg) Nodwell and was educated in the schools of Saint John. As a young person he shared his Father and Mother with thousands of boys and girls in the old Club on Thorne Avenue which they, without remuneration, operated for years and as he matured he voluntarily worked with his Parents in the Welfare of Youth. At a Salvation Army function he met Miss Margaret Mason and after falling in love, they got married in 1948. They had a daughter, Carol Ann, who brought them all the happiness that they both deserved.
 
In 1955 when the Club moved into the new Rotary building he was appointed Executive Director and during his following fifteen years of life developed club programs which changed the life of a city as described by Judge Comeau to Mr. George Barbour in the elimination of truancy within the area and making Saint John the only city of comparative size in North America to have a decline in juvenile delinquency. To broaden his skills in administration and programming he studied at the University of New York and Hart House University of Toronto and in 1970 was presented by Mr. John C. Cushing, President of the Boys’ Clubs of Canada with the Bronze Keystone Award for extraordinary service to youth in Atlantic Canada.
 
He extended himself beyond his activities in the Boys & Girls Club as is evidenced by his association with other organizations: Member of the Kinsmen’s Club, First Vice President Canadian Amateur Basketball Association, Director Saint John Minor Football League, Past District Administrator of Little League Baseball, Director of the Community Camps, the Tour Director of Young Voyageurs Program and an Honorary Life Member of the Shimpokai Academy of Judo. He created his own memorials, many of them are walking the streets of Saint John and many other cities, the good he created within them, will live for many generations. He was a true Soldier of the Salvation Army and by his deeds is well worthy to join his Father and Mother as a Master Builder of the Boys & Girls Club of Saint John. 
Joshua Lieberman
Joshua Lieberman
1896-1969
Joshua (Joe) Lieberman enjoyed the trust of all who knew him – he was honorable Gentleman. His two $100.00 a plate dinners, arranged almost single handedly, raised in excess of $30,000.00, making the first Boy’s and Girl’s club building a reality.
 
During his first years of service as President of the Boys & Girls Club, he built a foundation for funding and activities which are reflected today in  the success of this Youth Organization and for his fruitful efforts the Boys & Girls Clubs of Canada presented him with their Silver Keystone Award. He was a religious man, a powerhouse in his synagogue and the Jewish Community, being President of the Congregation Shaarei Zedek for nine years. He was also VP of the Atlantic Region Zionist organization of Canada and in 1957 he was thanked with a Negev Testimonial Dinner in Saint John.
 
His activities in civic organizations were numerous, being very active in the United Fund, the Board of Trade, the Canadian Institute for the Blind, the New Brunswick Competitive Festival of Music and the Rotary Club of Saint John, of which he was President.
 
He was born in Toronto, son of Abraham Herschel and Sarah Lieberman and in his early years moved to Saint John marrying Aida Mary Jacobson. They had two beloved sons, Stanley(now deceased) and Avrom now living in Kitchener, Ontario. He commenced his business career in Toronto in 1913, and after moving to Saint John became a partner in B&L Theatres. In 1959 he was recognized in Toronto at a special Canadian Motion Picture Pioneer Dinner for his 25 years of service to the Canadian Motion Picture Industry.
 
Joe Lieberman during his lifetime “put his creed into his deed” and therefore became a super Master Builder.
William P. Nodwell, Sr. & Margaret J. Nodwell, Sr.
WILLIAM and MARGARET NODWELL OUR FIRST MASTER BUILDERS!
 
William and Margaret Nodwell will long be remembered for their contribution to the youth of the Saint John area. The Couple’s involvement with the Saint John Boys’ & Girls’ Club began early in their married life and they are credited with securing the necessary funding commitment which led to the building of the first Boys’ & Girls’ Clubhouse.
 

William Nodwell, Sr. (1892-1959) spent his early years in Hampton, N.B. and later spent most of his working life with the Saint John Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. Margaret Nodwell, Sr. (1898-1960) was born and educated in Saint John. The couple had 5 children: Joseph, William, Murray, Grace and Margaret. It’s been said, “they served God by serving youth” a fitting epitaph for a man and his wife who devoted a lifetime, ensuring that youth had a wholesome environment in which to mature and grow through. They were responsible for organizing such activities as sporting events, picnics, games, and through these activities taught their charges the meaning of friendship, sportsmanship, sharing, respect and all of the attributes to prepare them for the responsibility of adulthood and good citizenship. Their greatest reward was not monetary, but knowing they had helped mold thousands of lives with Divine Guidance. Duncan Wathen, a long-time friend, and Boys’ & Girls’ Club associate, had these fond memories of the Nodwells: “They lived together; loved together; shared together and gave together. They gave food to those youngsters who were hungry; clothing to those youngsters who were cold; guidance to those who were misguided; and love to those who were unloved. They provided hundreds of young people with all the ingredients necessary for wholesome growth and because of them, many of today’s adults are good citizens just because they cared and shared. Could we all live as they lived; share as they shared; give as they gave; and love as they loved – what a wonderful world this would be.”

 
In addition to their involvement with the Boys’ & Girls Club activities, one of the major contributions the Nodwells made to the youth was the building, flooding and supervising of the major outdoor rinks located in the east side of the city in conjunction with the Boys & Girls Club. They also erected and supervised the summer playground activities. Thousands of Saint John’s young people grew up with the Boys & Girls Club in their veins because of the dedication of these two great citizens and their rapport with the youth of our area.
 
Share This